DN Map Loader
Download (502K, Requires OS X 10.3)
Source Code (9.5MB)
What is it
DN Map Loader lets you easily use third party maps and total conversions with the OS X version of Duke Nukem 3D, including Duke It Out In DC. DN Map Loader simplifies managing your maps by keeping a separate copy of each map you add to it and by providing a search filter for quickly finding a particular map. DN Map Loader also allows you to set up multiplayer games, using Rendezvous to simplify finding other players. It also includes some useful utilities for map builders or the curious.
- Multi-player games across your local area network (WAN not tested).
- Set difficulty level in single player maps.
- Ratings system to rate your favorite maps.
- Play count shows how many times you've played a map.
- Open text files; Open map files in Build; Play voc, wav, midi files.
- A Group Extract utility for pulling files out of a .grp file.
- A Group Build utility for creating .grp files.
- A Config Duke utility for changing screen resolution and enabling MouseLook.
- A User and Defs con update utility for updating cons from v1.3 to v1.4
How does it work
With DN Map Loader you simply add the files for a map or TC, select the map in the list, and click the Play Map button to start Duke Nukem. DNML will copy any necessary files to Duke Nukem and then launch the game with your selected map or TC. When you quit the game all modifications to Duke Nukem are reversed.
Not necessarily every map or TC in existence will be compatible with DNML but it does its best to try and figure out whatever you throw at it. If a map or TC is not working you can manually set the file types in the detail screen. Please read the included Help for possible solutions.
DN Map Loader is offered for free, but donations through PayPal are gladly accepted to help offset hosting and coffee costs :).